Sunday, August 23, 2009

My trip home

I'm lucky enough to be able to cycle to work every day. My journey home takes me from the brewery eastwards along the River Almond under the old A9 road bridge (above) then south alongside the River Tay. It's a lovely ride even in the rain and snow - plenty of wild life such as deer, rabbits, stoats and foxes. Birds of all sorts too - kingfishers, herons, buzzards, swans and wrens. This old bridge is a favourite haunt of Mr. Heron and I hear his other-wordly croak almost every day here.
The view west towards Scone Palace where the Lia Fail or the Stone of Destiny was kept at the Abbey for hundreds of years for the Kings of Scotland to be crowned upon. It was the inspiration for our scrumptious dark ale Lia Fail.
Dunsinane Hill in the distance, made famous by Shakespeare's Macbeth. That's barley growing below it. For beer of course.
Perth's Old Bridge seen from the North Inch, a lovely riverside park and sports field, where the Battle of the Clans took place in 1396. Only a few hundred metres ride home for me now, then a quick cup of tea and change out of my work clothes and off to Greyfriars for a pint of Friar's Tipple. Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment